Saturday, June 10, 2006

Yeah, I said it.

I just spent the last hour glued to a momblog.

You know, those blogs written by young hip moms who just had a kid recently. This one seems to have the perfect life.

First, she looks hot.
Second, her husband looks hot.
Third, her kid is super cute.
And lastly, her home looks wealthy.
Oh yeah, and she's funny. Sparkling personality, as they say.

I get, from the blog, that she's a stay-at-home mom who just loves the bejesus out of her kid.

I bet she also scrapbooks all fancy-like with special scissors and corner-cutters, etc.

I can't decide whether I feel nauseous, jealous, or scared to death that that will be me in five years.

On one hand, I've always had a special place in my black-little heart for doting moms. I hate them. Period. What the hell is so precious about your kid that you need to be completely obsessed with him/her 24/7. We all know you think the world revolves around little Sally, but frankly, the world DOES NOT. Kid-centered moms are just as bad as self-centered people...but in many ways worse.

At least self-centered narcissists know that they have a problem and need to snap out of their mirror-gazing cocoon. But kid-centered moms think they are totally justified in their obsession because they think they are just being loving and devoted mothers...as they should be.

But I got news for you lady. You keep that up and Junior will grow up to be one messed-up and therapy-needing adult because you could not model what a decent person should be: interested in more important things than you and yours.

Either he'll grow up to be an arrogant prick, thinking he's God's gift to the world; or he'll grow up totally dependent on Mummy and those apron strings will never be cut.

So for the love of all that is decent, stop obsessing about your stupid kid!

(p.s. I'm in no way implicating mom-bloggers. Just because you blog about your kid does not necessarily put you in the category of unhealthy obsessors. So, "No, I don't mean you").

5 comments:

Morris said...

I've dealt with "mommy bloggers" before. Most of them are seeking attention. A lot of them just use their kids so they can write about them, and have their "friends" comment back, things like "That is so cute, my little johhnny or sally does that too".

You have to figure having a kid basically destroys a women's life for at least 6 months after words. They think "I will go back to work after the kid is a few years old..." but it never happens. They lose that sense of identity/importance that work once gave them. So they take to the internet and make friends with other females in similar situations. They form these communities, where they complain about being under appreciated, blah,blah. Some even become hostile toward men, because that once "perfect" relationship they had with their husbands is now gone, with the addition of the new member of the family. They now have more cleaning to do (laundry, dishes). The Internet is the only place they feel they control.

The short of it is, never point out to a mommy blogger it was her choice to have the kid when she is complaining about the lack of "me time". It never goes over well with her, or her followers.

Will said...

That was an impressive post. Somehow I've always thought the same thing, but you took my thought and phrased it so acutely, as you always do when my thoughts are snarky. You're like my ferret sidekick.

Seriously be-all and end-all relationships are hard to stomach. People go through phases, have shifting passions, are evolutionarily tuned to exhibit strange mental states when love or parenthood is new. But let us be reasonable in our musting and proportionate in our frenzies.

Alaberi said...

I love your honesty, Christina... remember the "memo" from Jerry Maguire - what we think but never say? I have a feeling that in writing this post, you're writing the equivalent for quite a number of people in this world.

I hope PLAP is exciting for you this week! :-)

Virenda said...

Okay y'all...

First off I don't LIKE CUTESY, CRAPPY, LOOK AT ME I LOVE SALLY MOMMY bloggers either but you (yeah you Morris) need to back the F* off the moms. I don't like the moms that think the world revolves around there kid and I HATE scrap booking BUT don't (yeah I mean you Morris) take away from the struggle that is being a mother.

And I'll complain all day long about laundry. Why not? I mean old people complain about there failing bodies, single people about being lonely, men about their jobs, moms about laundry and whiny kids. We all are a bunch of complainers. Embrace it.

The thing is Mom blogs serve a purpose just like any other blogs. Support.

So that all was pretty much directed at Mr. Morris and not at you. You pretty much got it. I have kids and still can't stand moms that are obsessive.

I don't understand moms that don't want to go on vacation without little Johnny. Ever. (They have to be insane!)

(Oh and that purse is like 30-40 bucks at AKOstyle, under new handbags.)

kony said...

haha. this post is kinda harsh. obsession is harmful, but there are worse evils out there... like maybe child abuse and child neglect? i'm in a country right now where girls routinely marry at 16, get left by their husbands, & leave their kids on the doorsteps of orphanages. to live in a society where women have the social/economic luxury to *over*-care for their children is a privilege. ...or, then again, maybe it's not.