Tuesday, April 10, 2007

What Women Want in a Man: Every inch matters

First of all, get your mind out of the gutter. It's not about that.


Recent studies show that women prefer taller men. Duh. You don't need a researcher to tell you that!

But did you know that men can compensate for their shortness by padding their (not shoes but...) wallets? Women are willing to relax their height standards for a bigger bank account. That's probably not surprising either.

But exactly how much money makes up for each inch?

A study of 20,000 online daters by Gunter Hitsch and Ali Hortacsu of the University of Chicago and Dan Ariely of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology found that a 5-foot-8 man was just as successful in getting dates as a 6-footer if he made more money — precisely $146,000 a year more. For a 5-foot-2 man, the number was $277,000.

But short women have it good. A 5-foot-6 woman needs to make $59,000 more than a 5-foot-0 or 5-foot-2 woman to do as well. She’d need to make $50,000 more than a 5-foot-4 woman. Take that Elle McPherson! As a 5-foot-almost-5 woman I find this liberating. I'm definitely buying some trendy ballet flats now!

Overall, I find these studies to be depressing. They seem to confirm with to-the-cent accuracy that age-old truism: looks matter a lot. And therefore: life is unfair.

For more trade-offs, see nytimes.com/tierneylab.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow that article really cheered me up! Seeing as how I'm a 5 foot almost 5 foot 3 woman, and have been bitter all my life about only being able to shop in the ironically petite petite sections of stores. And you're a good looking woman, so think of this as one of those instances where life is unfair but it's unfair in your favor ;)

Alice in Wonderland said...

Shucks. You're not a bad looker yourself.
:-)

Alaberi said...

A-HA! And that's why I recommend listening to Tim Keller's sermon from yesterday (4/15) - it will encourage everyone regarding your last paragraph...

Alice in Wonderland said...

I love Tim Keller Sermons. I should put up a link to them.

Alaberi said...

re: new york...ehhh nothing happened with the setup. Meh. It's okay.

hey I noticed that your gingerbread lady is a CARB girl, not a PROTEIN girl. ;-)

I miss Alice!!!

Alaberi said...

yeah I privatized - but of course YOU are welcome to read it! :)