Saturday, April 04, 2009

Unda' da' Sea

Nothing makes me feel more like a mermaid than ogling the ginormous tanks of sea creatures at the Monterey Bay Aquarium.


Since M has never been to this vaunted Northern California institution, we decided it was worth the exorbitant price of admission--$30--and I got to relive my childhood (every kid in the Fremont Union School District gets a field trip here by 3rd grade).


The jelly fish tank was probably my favorite. I was hyptonized by their diaphanous bodies swaying and pulsing in the electric blue deep.


I couldn't stop staring at the schools of sardines, moving as if one body, controlled by a single mind.








This little guy remains, to this day, my favorite animal at the Aquarium. I heard there is a youtube video of two of these guys holding hands while floating around. I'm too lazy to check it out but just thinking about it makes me melt in a puddle of too-cute goop.

4 comments:

tiptoptam said...

The aquarium is pretty cool, but I have to agree with you about the price of admission -- it is highway robbery if you ask me. Also, I loved your Carmel vacation pictures! :)

Alice in Wonderland said...

Thanks Tammy!

And I should add that the aquarium was much more impressive looking when I went as a kid. It's much smaller than I remember.

stephisnotemily said...

best aquarium EVER! now I totally have to go again the next time I return to SF!

Alice in Wonderland said...

Hi Steph! I wouldn't say the aquarium is definitely worth the 30 bucks, but once in a great while, it is...we should hang out the next time you're here! (I'll email you also--people don't usually revisit their comments :-))