Monday, March 22, 2010

Boiz v. Goyls

I don’t know why this Wednesday is such a big deal to me.

I’ve been awaiting it eagerly for 10 weeks now and it’s kind of driving me crazy with anticipation.

Why does it matter so much to me to find out the fetus’ gender? Both genders have their trade-offs and luckily I live in a society that doesn’t limit the potential of either one.

Girls
Are calmer, less rowdy, easier to watch over
(But are insane drama queens during puberty)
Have much prettier clothes
Are more nurturing as adults
The spouse would slightly prefer a girl over a boy

Boys
Are emotionally less complicated than girls
Would fulfill my long-held desire to have a mini-version of the spouse, complete with matching outfits.
Little man clothes are really cute

I guess in my more lucid and introspective moments, I’d admit it’s such a big deal to me cuz deep down, I want a boy slightly more than a girl. Girls kinda freak me out. I'm afraid of them. They are mysterious creatures who have befuddled me throughout my life. They often don’t say what they mean and don’t mean what they say. They are sweet one day and cold the next. They make passive aggressiveness an art form. They get angry at me and I have no idea why--and it’s worse to ask. And I just never know if I’m coming or going.

I need explicitness. I need logic and reason and bluntness. I’ve always found guys to be refreshingly obvious and, well, simple (in a good way). Although they can be frustratingly non-verbal, at least you always know where you stand with them. If they are not cool with you, they’ll tell you so, to your face, and they’ll tell you exactly why. And they have such simple needs--to be fed, to be praised, and to be, uh, exercised…much like a household pet.

But it’s not that I’ll be disappointed if it’s a girl. I’ll just need a little more mental preparation to embrace the idea, I suppose.

And in other news, the belly continues to protrude. 4 weeks later, it’s still not that big, but definitely grew. It’s like a reverse before-and-after diet picture. Now none of my old pants fit at all. I officially live in a land of no zippers.


Bonus points to anyone who can guess the gender just by looking at the belly! Taking bets until Wednesday 5pm PST.

No comments: