Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Woman, Thy Name is Sisyphus

It's a dreary existence when your entire life feels Sisyphian.

Dress kids. Undress kids. Wash a mountain of clothes. Fold clothes. Put clothes away. Dress kids. Undress kids. Wash a mountain of clothes. Fold clothes. Put clothes away. Repeat daily.

Feed kids. Clean up kitchen. Wash dishes. Cook food. Feed kids. Clean up kitchen. Wash dishes. Repeat 4-5x per day.

My two lil' boulders - so small, yet so destructive.

Kids dump out Legos. Clean up Legos. Repeat 3x per day.

Kids dump out multiple puzzles. Clean up puzzles. Repeat 2-3x per day.

Kids leave balls scattered around the house. Kids leave Hotwheels scattered around the house. Kids leave dinosaurs scattered around the house. Kids leave magna-tiles scattered around the house.

Pick-up. Pick-up. Pick-up. Pick-up. Pick-up. Repeat ad nauseam.

Kids spill milk. Kids spill juice. Kids spill scatter cracker crumbs. Kids scatter bread crumbs. Kids scatter chip crumbs.

Clean-up. Clean-up. Clean-up. Clean-up. Clean-up.

From morning to night. Monday through Sunday. We roll the boulder up. It crashes back down. We roll the boulder up. It crashes back down.

And each time, I am never able to push the boulder back up as high as it was the last time.

The laws of parental entropy.

It makes me yearn for something permanent. Something I can point to and say - AHA! I've DONE THIS! And it SHALL NOT BE UNDONE!

Thus, this blog entry.

2 comments:

Kindra said...

I know it does not help, now (trust me, I remember), but one day you will look at your sons who have become absolutely amazing young men and say, "I helped this happen, and it will not be undone!"

(Not that there is anything wrong with wanting to create something entirely of your own right now, too--good luck with things!)

Kindra @ Together
another one of the
Mothers in the Legal Profession

Alice in Wonderland said...

I love that perspective Kindra! Thanks for sharing! I fervently hope all my foibles and shortcomings won't jeopardize that beautiful outcome.