Sunday, May 21, 2006

Too Cool for (Sunday) School

Today I visited a slick church.

That's right, not "sick", "slick".

The whole thing reaked of Banana and Barn (as in Republic and Pottery). It was located in a trendy downtown spot and it just felt too cool for school (as in Sunday school).

I don't know if it was the elite praise band, which sounded like they were angling for a Grammy nomination, or the leadership, who sported JCrew looks and artfully trimmed facial hair, or the predominantly yuppie congregation, who, surprise, sported JCrew looks and more artfully trimmed facial hair.

But either way, it felt wierd. I miss seeing old people with orthopedic shoes, frumpy soccer moms driving mini-vans, and messy kids in jam stained hand-me-downs. That feels more like home.

If I want slick, I'll go to Starbucks.

3 comments:

Morris said...

That seems to be a trend now, to create places that appeal to the growing entertainment driven youth.

Really, the bast places of worship are the corn fields, and other places where people worship false idols and sacrafice animals.

Anonymous said...

definitely! not what you want to see at church. personally, I attend a mass where 70% of the congregation are senior citizens and you see rubber donuts in the pews when you go up to receive communion. I love it.

hope you're hanging in there with finals! how many do you have left? don't envy me too much. It was a FIVE year odyssey and I started bar prep classes today (i.e. the day after graduation) and it's not looking pretty.

Alice in Wonderland said...

What are rubber donuts?

Well, I turned in my final Final yesterday, which was a nasty 30 page paper. But now I'm stuck doing Law Review competition for a week. Blech.

Have fun with bar review, so to speak.