Wednesday, July 19, 2006

They say you can't go back...

So I’ve been MIA for a few days while traveling to California for a friend’s wedding.

It’s always weird going back to the Bay Area.

I left my childhood friends and family since college and have been making mini-visits back ever since (that’s nearly 10 years ago). And each time I go back, I feel weirder and weirder.

I feel like a stranger in my own home, like a Rip Van Winkle who awakes every 6-8 months to look around for four days before nodding off again. You really start to sift the wheat from the chaff and find out who were friends of convenience and who were true friends of simpatico.

Sometimes distance makes the heart grow fonder.

But sometimes it just accentuates the distance that was always there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been here most of the years since college and I still have that feeling about a lot of the people I was "friends" with back in high school. But you should visit more often, it was really good to see you :)

Alice in Wonderland said...

You are definitely someone with whom I have simpatico. I often think: that girl read my mind!

Morris said...

Yeah, a post!

Yeah I find that too. I often browse my alumni site, and wonder if anyone who talked to me back in the day would even know me if I walked up to them or care. I think its fun to just keep tabs on people rather then keeping in touch.