Tuesday, September 12, 2006

A little less taxing, a little more waxing

Ok, so I haven't posted in a while and actually my insides feel like they are going to burst.

And yet I hesitate to write because my thoughts are a mess.

School started and I'm kind of a mess. For every 30 mintues of studying I feel like I need an hour of TV watching to "detox". Why am I so allergic to academia? I used to like to learn. Ok, no, that's a lie. I was always a TV whore.

Anyway, I'm taking some "exciting" classes. Hey, it doesn't take much to count as exciting in the world of law. After reading cases all day long, you won't look at paint drying in the same way again. I guarantee you that.

The exciting classes are: Tax, Constitutional Law, and Legal Research. Snore. They are exciting because for the first time ever in lawschool, my professors actually speak in indicative sentences! Like you and me! Like normal human beings! Yes. No more string of "Socratic" questions...never telling you what the answer is or if you're getting colder? warmer? going to fail your final?

And I've come to have a new appreciation of US taxes. Do you know what makes America so great? Seriously. It's our fiscal policy.

God forbid we should be like some other countries (like Mexico *COUGH COUGH*) where only the poor are taxed and the rich pretty much never pay a dime, except as bribes to the politicians, who make sure the tax legislation stays inefficient...and that's how the world turns round and round and before you know it, Juana's on a bus to Tijuana where she hopes to make a buck to send back to her kid but we all know how that story ends. (I'll give you a hint...Juana ends up making a buck in a less legal way, unless she's working in Las Vegas).

And that's my two cents...which I'll happily pay tax on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck in school! Tax can be fun, seems like you got a pretty good 'high-level' understanding of it already...haha

-rob