Saturday, September 16, 2006

Did you ever know that you're my hero...

I cannot stop singing the praises of Michael Patrick King. The man is a pop-culture god.

He is the genius behind two of my favorite TV shows in the history of television. Not only does he direct two of my favorite actresses of all time, he does so in a hilarious, touching, and very human way.


His products are always very...TRUE. That is the highest compliment I can give to any form of art. His art is true in the context of its own genre. Sex and the City and The Comeback with Lisa Kudrow are hilarious and entertaining, but the pleasure doesn't come from gimmicks. Rather, like a good stand-up comedy routine, it comes from a deeply shared insight into the human condition.


His shows are the only ones that I will watch more than once, particularly to get his audio commentary on the DVD episodes. He always has the most insightful and compassionate things to say about the characters and their situations.

Now, being a visual person, I just had to see what Michael Patrick King actually looks like (after hearing his disembodied voice-over so many times). I googled his image and I have to say...


I'm a little shocked and disappointed that he looks so young and rather on the handsome side. I always thought great wisdom meant looking more like...well...Yoda.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your definition of art as being connected to truth of the human condition.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry Christina, I see a little Yoda in those features.

Alice in Wonderland said...

Yah. It's true. I watched 3 episodes of Season 1 and decided I didn't like it.

But it got so much hype I thought I should give it another shot. So I rented Season 4 and got hooked.

And after watching all the rest of the episodes I went BACK to watch Seasons 1, 2, and 3!

Alaberi said...

whoa! funky new color layout. I dig it!