Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Some Sunshine from California

The single digit weather finally warmed last weekend, coinciding with the visit of my good friend Joy.


Joy and I have been friends since junior high school so seeing her again always makes me reminisce and marvel at "how old we are now!"

It's strange how so much has changed and yet nothing really has changed. The same fears, the same flaws, the same confusion plague my quiet moments now as they had then. And Joy seems as certain, optimistic, and ebullient as I've always remembered.

As always Faulkner rings true: The past is not dead. In fact it's not even past. That's kind of a terrifying thought for those who grew up as I did...but thank God I believe in redemption. I have to.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute title and cute picture. Joy is always a joy, isn't she? Have you read any Ann Tyler novels? A lot of them talk about that same thing and they're interesting, but more importantly, they're also hopeful.

Alice in Wonderland said...

No...I'll look into it. I'm making it a habit to read novels right before bedtime now. Helps me nod off. Any in particular you recommend?

And yeah, Joy was aptly named.

Anonymous said...

My favorite is "Ladder of Years." But "Back When We Were Grownups" is really good as well. I think you'll really like them :)