Friday, March 09, 2007

You know you're depressed when...

As I plopped my butt down in front of the boobtube, as is my wont, guess what I chanced to see?

An entire hour of The View dedicated to the topic of women and depression. Their guest was saying how she knew she was depressed because of her extremely low-energy and the fact that she watched a lot of QVC.

That sentence struck me like a lightening bolt.

Meet some of my best friends:


Ever since last year I've been a newly converted devotee of HSN, the local cable counterpart of QVC. Instead of quickly flipping past Channel 70 with slight annoyance, like any sane person would do, I started to just let my fingers pause on the remote and let the sound of the snakeoil salesmen and women wash over me like a warm stream of sunshine in a cold dark living room.


It's something about their tone of voice. So cheerful, so optimistic, so concerned for us to enhance our lives by buying their products. Is it wrong to be attracted to such love and joy exuding from a fellow human being?


Many times I just leave the tv on as I do other chores simply to have that positive energy flowing around the apartment at all times.

(Shivan's my favorite. When people ask her how she's doing she always responds: Happy happy!)

It's exactly what a depressed person needs.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's okay Christina! Whatever gets you through the day. But for my money, you should try watching reruns of Judging Amy from 12-2 on TNT. I find the struggles of Maxine, the crusading social worker, and her daughter Amy, the juvenile court judge, to be very inspiring.

Alice in Wonderland said...

Alas, I don't have cable.

That's probably my saving grace though...I can't imagine ever getting off my butt if it weren't for the lull in daytime tv programming from noon to 3:00pm.

B.Amelia said...

It's a good thing you don't have cable, it can seriously suck you in like no other. I swear the other day me and my mom were talking about someone on TV like we knew them in real life.

It's was scary.

Alaberi said...

snakeoil salesmen! Nahhhh i'd save that characterization for the infomercial people who sell things like ginsu knives. At least on HSN and QVC they cover many things in one hour. For the infomercial people, they have to cover ONE thing for an entire hour! that could turn anyone snake-y.

btw I LOVE the Chemerinsky hornbook. THANK YOU SO MUCH! Chemerinsky, where have you BEEN my whole Conlaw life???

Alaberi said...

I loved your haikus!!!
I have melatonin now...
More sleep, hopefully.

;-)