Tuesday, November 06, 2007

The Other Dream

The American Dream is alive and kicking, as far as I know.

Sure there are pockets of political isolation and downward pressure that keep people from rising from poverty no matter how hard they try and how much they hustle. But all in all, this is still the land of opportunity and the purest system of meritocracy I know.

More than any other country, America offers upward mobility despite your race, religion, socio-economic background, or physical appearance.

If you are bright. If you test into the right schools. If you hustle. You can "make it". No matter who you are.

The only catch is that you have to be meritorious. You have to cut muster. You have to be in the top percentile. It is a meritocracy, after all.

Thus sometimes, even living in a meritocracy feels oppressive. Sometimes I just feel exhausted from the rat race. It's daunting and draining to strain to measure up every day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.

Somedays I wished I lived in a charitocracy. Where people are kind, no matter what. Even if you suck. Even if you're dull. And dumb. And boorish. And small-minded. Even if you make a mistake, or two, or ten.

A charitocracy: Where you don't have to strive for signficance and justify yourself through effort.

Because you already are.

9 comments:

Peggy E. said...

Was this post meant to be sarcastic?

Alice in Wonderland said...

No. What part sounded sarcastic to you?

Alaberi said...

I LOVED this post, Alice. LOVED it. *hugs* to you. I like charitocracy - it's very Christian, and very compassionate.

Alaberi said...

ps can I quote this on my blog?

Alice in Wonderland said...

I'm flattered to earn a spot in your blog Alaberi. Of course you can. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I don't know... luck can happen to anybody really. There are sometimes people who are just hard working who get somewhere. Then there are those who are just talented and get there too.

It's merit for some, determination for others, and luck for even some more. I think the road to success is broader than that. Maybe that helps relieve some of the pressure you feel!

Alice in Wonderland said...

Yeah, Infinity, I agree with you. Thank God that behind it all is an invisible (but very real) backdrop of grace and charity. It's good to be reminded of the reality that is not seen.

kony said...

i love this post, too. so how do we go about realizing this alternate dream. will change have to come from the top or the bottom?

Alice in Wonderland said...

Hmm Kony, I'm not sure...

Maybe inside out first and then top down...

I'm not sure I fully know what this means but I think I believe it: Only someone who has received freely can freely give.