Tuesday, August 18, 2009

To Splurge or Not to Splurge

As a voyeur of retail fashion, you will often see almost the exact same style in two different price ranges. And it's in those moments you must ask yourself: to splurge or not to splurge?

Is the upscale version so vastly superior that it's worth dropping the extra cash?

Case Study #1: The Patent Animal Print Flats

One of these pairs is literally 5x the cost of the other. But can you tell which one? I think, when it comes to patent, no one can tell if it's real leather or not. That's the beauty of patent. Verdict: Don't splurge.



Case Study #2: The Red Officer's Pea Coat

Here I think it's pretty obvious which coat is more expensive, but maybe it's not. Can you tell? One is 100% wool, while the other is half nylon. Verdict? Jury's still out.



What's your verdict, gentle reader?

2 comments:

Tammy said...

I can't actually tell which coat is the real wool one. It's a 50/50 for me, so I guess that means it's not worth the splurge, haha. I'm so with you on the patent leather...definitely not worth the 5x difference in price.

Alice in Wonderland said...

Really?! Wow. I woulda thought for sure the coats were easily discernable...but I guess that's just my hindsight bias. Well good job Old Navy! They are the proud designers of the low-end coat on top (the true red one).