Friday, August 06, 2010

Pardon me while I fume

I don't rant often, but this is really galling and I just have to get it off my chest.

JUST BECAUSE SOMETHING IS GENETIC DOES NOT MEAN IT IS AUTOMATICALLY ETHICALLY NEUTRAL.

Let me say it again--Just because you're "born that way" doesn't necessarily mean it's okay to ACT that way.

While many genetic traits are ethically neutral--the color of your skin, hair, height, etc, many other genetically linked traits are not--violence, aggression, antisocial behavior, etc.

If a violent sociopath says "I'm genetically predisposed to raping kids" guess what? He would probably be right! But that does NOT mean we shouldn't condemn such behavior.

"But it's genetic" is NOT an automatic ethical defense.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Hmm, there must have been a trigger to this rant...did something happen? Also, thanks for the b-day lunch yesterday and the awesome company :)

Alice in Wonderland said...

Hey Tam--I'm glad we could hang out before the dday and have a good meal. I always love our pig-out sessions!

And yeah, the trigger are stupid talk show hosts. I can't stop screaming at my tv screen.