Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Nuking Noah

Tomorrow I start Noah on his first (and hopefully last) round of oral antibiotics.  I feel kinda sick to my stomach about this.

Ever since I read an article by Michael Pollan in NYT Magazine about the importance of good gut bacteria, I've been loathe to use antibiotics.  (Btw, I highly recommend this article to everyone--one of the best, most fascinating, paradigm-shifting articles I've ever read).

But, alas, the topical antibiotic ointment hasn't been working and the risk of Noah's eye skin infection spreading to his actual eyeball outweighs the risk of nuking his good bacteria.

Hopefully this treatment works and we won't have to do another round of even stronger antibiotics.  We'll find out in a week.  Fingers crossed!

2 comments:

CP said...

Crossing my fingers for you that this is Noah's last round. You're making the right decision, even if it is a hard one!

Alice in Wonderland said...

Thanks CP!