Sunday, September 11, 2005

Fly me home, NOW!

In case people wonder how long it takes to adjust to moving far and away from the only life you've ever known...here is some data to consider.

Of course I can only speak for myself, but it's been 3 months and I'm still not over the move. Yup. I'm still homesick. I know I should "suck it up," and "enjoy my new time and experiences here." But sometimes I feel like if I have to introduce myself to another person, smile and rack my brain for small talk, I'm going to snap.

In fact, I've gotten so enured to the whole "meeting new people" dialogue that I committed quite a few faux pas(es?) today at church. When I met a whole new slew of people, I didn't try to remember their names, what graduate programs they're in, where they're originally from, or the answer to any other questions I mindlessly asked them. And then when the inevitable awkward silence crept in, I didn't even say the obligatory, "well, it was nice meeting you," or any other polite "release" phrases. I just left.

It's not that I don't care. I do. But it's just too much new information! I feel like I'm playing a giant, life-size, human game of memory (you know, when you flip all the cards upside-down and try to match them).

"Oh, you're from Minnesota right?" "No...Wisconsin?" "You're studying engineering at M.I.T. right?" "No...you're girlfriend is?" "You're fiance?" "You're wife?" "You're mother's second cousin's hairdresser?"

"Yeah! I can't believe you remembered that!"

"Wait...sorry, I hate to ask this, but, what was your name again?"

No comments: