Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Preggo? No Preggo?

Now that I'm in my 7th month, it's harder to play my favorite guessing game, "Preggo? No Preggo?" wherein yours truly tries to dress in a way that makes others question whether she's pregnant, or just fat.

I don't know why I get perverse pleasure in hiding my belly, but it's fun to see how long I can go before my coworkers actually realize I'm pregnant.

This jacket is always good at covering up the massive belly bump:


And wearing all black is also a great shrinking trick:


As a result, I'm in my last trimester and some people still just think I've gained a bit of weight! But, as you can see, the belly is ginormous now. I'll never stop being in awe at how the right clothing can hide so so much!



So now that I'm in the final stretch, I've been pleasantly shocked at how easy pregnancy has been. It's like a non-event. Other than giving up jogging (and caffeine and cold medicine when I'm sick) it really hasn't intruded much on my life. It's just like having a beer-gut I imagine. And in fact, when I look in the mirror, I reminded of this old pastor I used to know who had one of those bellies that hung over his belt.

I am however, starting to grow terrified at (a) the impending actual birth and (b) the reality of having to take care of a very demanding fragile human.

And also, I'm a tad shocked at how my baby will likely look. Just today I found a picture of my hubby when he was a baby, and...well, I'm still adjusting to it. The baby version of him is just so uncanny...he looks like him, just imprinted on a soft pudgy face. It's so trippy...like some genetic optical illusion.

5 comments:

Tammy said...

Hot diggity!! Look at that belly! But I am amazed at how you've put on no weight in your face or seemingly anywhere else. Oh my gosh, I can't believe you are in your third trimester already. How exciting! :)

Alice in Wonderland said...

Oh Tammy, I welcome your flattery like a nomad welcomes water in the desert. But the truth of the matter is I've inflated in many unflattering ways beyond the tummy. Sigh. Glad that picture doesn't reveal them to the generous eye though! ha ha.

Peggy E. said...

Yay! I've been waiting for the latest pictures of your belly! Do you at least show it off on the weekends?

Alice in Wonderland said...

LOL, yes Peg, I'm like jekyll and hyde. Hiding it at work and wearing tight clothes to show it off on the weekend. As a result, all my coworkers say, "you're so small" and all my church friends say "you're huge." ha ha.

Nan said...

You are such a cute preggo. :^)

Don't be terrified. Just remind yourself that people do it all the time (give birth). You'll do great!