Monday, May 10, 2010

Pwnage #3--The Tsunami Strikes

This pwnage was so deep and devastating I haven’t even been able to blog about it until a full week after. It started mid-week, crescendo-ed to a frenzy on Saturday, and slowly ebbed out to sea sometime on Friday of the next week.

I’m still suffering from PTSD.

I especially resented the Saturday pwnage since the assignment came literally, Friday night at 11:30 pm and was due Saturday night. And, of course, it was the equivalent of at least 3 days’ work crammed into one (read: I was stressed out of my mind). Towards the end of Saturday I had devolved into a pile of bitter primordial goop, muttering curses to myself under my breath every 10 seconds like a mentally deranged person with tourettes. Not pretty.

Although I know that many litigation associates work much longer hours than I do, it’s really not the same. As a corporate associate, as I’ve emphasized many a time to my litigating counterparts, YOU CAN’T PREDICT WHAT’S COMING. There are no schedules, no fixed court deadlines, absolutely no way to plan. That makes everything at least 10 times more miserable and a lose-lose situation almost every time.

Take any given Saturday. If I DON’T plan anything, I may discover that I actually HAD time and COULD’VE done something. If I DO plan something, I may discover that I have to cancel.

You just can’t win. Either way, you’re going to kick yourself. How do people live like this?!?!

2 comments:

Peggy E. said...

Well you know you could always call me last minute to see what I'm up to!

Alice in Wonderland said...

Thanks Peg. Clearly I can only have flexible spontaneous friends like yourself :-)