Monday, February 05, 2007

Getting Paid Forward

2002 was a bad year for me as a driver.

(1) In early March I crashed into a man at the intersection because I was studying a map while driving.

(2) The very next week I bumped into another man because I failed to realize the light had turned red. He stopped his car to see if his baby was ok.

(3) The week after that I knocked a woman's driver-side mirror out when I was backing out of a parking space.

(4) A few months later I totalled my car on a busy L.A. freeway, fishtailing into three lanes and finally ended up facing oncoming traffic as my car slammed into the center divide.

(5) And last but not least I dented another guy's car a few months later as I pulled into my church's parking lot. He told me it was his wedding day that day.

The amazing thing about all of this is that each person whose car I damaged decided not to make me pay. I can't explain it, but my insurance record remained as pristine as a mountain lake that year...as pure as the fresh driven snow.

I feel like I owe the universe.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, it's pretty amazing even that no one was hurt, but to be free of liability....well, that is an absolute coup. Awesome!

kony said...

you don't owe the universe, b/c i think it sent me all your bills. in other words, my bad karma balances out your good karma.

but good lord... someone who could match my crashes-per-year rate. didn't think it was humanly possible!!

Alice in Wonderland said...

Ha! You did have an inordinate amount of accidents Kony! I'll have to think of some way to pay you back...