Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Predator Island

Oprah recently re-aired a story about a special confinement center informally dubbed Predator Island, in the beautiful Puget Sound.

It’s a facility that houses sexual predators, 60% of which are child molesters. This is not a prison, however. The unique twist is that all these predators have already served their sentences, but a judge has assigned them to be civilly committed because they are too likely to re-offend. If these predators elect to go through treatment, and are declared “cured,” they can get off the island.

But why would they want to?


Oprah’s cameras panned around the facility and it seriously looks like a state-of-the-art dormitory. There are recreational rooms with brand new basketball courts, flat-screen tv’s, computers, libraries, comfortable beds, etc. This facility is not like a run-down nasty inner-city public school. It is pretty darn posh. Oh yeah, and free health-care!

If I ever find myself down-and-out and about to be homeless, I'm going to pretend to molest someone, plead guilty, and spend the rest of my life in ease and comfort, courtesy of Uncle Sam. Inmates can knit, sew, do woodworking, all kinds of hobbies. Sign me up!

It is reported that federal tax payers spend $165,000 per offender each year to put them up in these nice digs!

That just seems wrong to me. Why can’t we just chemically castrate them and then release them back into society? It would be so much cheaper and, *bonus* they would never offend again. Problem solved.

Just another case of our tax dollars “hard at work” subsidizing the Washington State economy. FAIL.

You can read more about this depressing topic here.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

WTF. That makes me so mad. I'll happily pay the tax dollars to get these crazies neutered, but putting them up in fancy digs just makes me mad at America.

Nan said...

Makes me want to vomit.