Thursday, January 13, 2011

152-154, Tue-Thu

Tuesday was a momentous day for you, one for the history books (well, the history of your life at least).


It was the first day you had something to eat OTHER than breast milk! (Okay, if we're going to get technical, you did have a few milliliters of formula while you were in the hospital).


I felt like you were ready since you've been watching us like a hawk every time we eat and you simply love when we put an empty spoon in your mouth. So I ordered little plastic bowls for you, little plastic spoons, a big plastic bib, and bought you some rice cereal.


I felt a little sad getting all your food stuff ready, knowing that this represents the first step to my baby being more independent from me. Since you were born, actually since you were CONCEIVED, my body provided all you needed to live and grow. And now you were going to eat something that didn't come from me. Sniff, sniff. Who knew motherhood would turn me into such a co-dependent sap?


Your dad, on the other hand, was an eager beaver since this was the first time he would ever get to feed you. He was so excited to bond with you in this way. (Well, technically he gave you a bottle before, but you absolutely hated it and so, as a consequence, did your dad).


You absolutely loved your first taste of "real food" and we got it all on video (which I'll upload later). You also like to hold your own spoon...


...and you're pretty good at getting it in your mouth...eventually.


Thursday we put you in the new high-chair your dad's mom got you. Thanks grandma!


You ate like a champ again (a messy champ)...


...and then proceeded to eat your empty spoon...


...and then your bib.


You just love stuffing things in your mouth.


Today, I noticed another possible advantage to feeding you solids--you seem to sleep longer. You slept for an hour and 20 minutes after your solid feeding! That's amazing since you usually nap for no more than 40 minutes. I'm excited to see if this will happen again tomorrow! If so, I'm afraid I'll be stuffing your gullet full of rice cereal all day and all night long. Just kidding. Sort of.

1 comment:

the McArthur Family said...

i love all his eating face expressions! And, of course he loved it! He is such a good eater.