Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Eh, Wacha' Gonna Do?

Well, I finally got "Carried" away today (something I'd wanted to do since May 31, but *sigh* let's just say life wouldn't let me.)

I feel like I've watched every episode of SATC at least 3 times thanks to Netflix and reruns on basic cable, so no one could have been chomping on the bit to see the movie as much as I was. Talk about "great sexpectations."

And it wasn't really disappointing. I don't know. I have mixed feelings. It might take a while for me to sort this through--perhaps as long as it took Carrie to sort out her feelings for Big (aka Mr. Preston, ugh--dumb name).

The only strong feeling I had after the viewing was emotional trauma. I felt like my heart had been ripped from my body and put in a blender for 2.5 hours. How much excruciating ups and downs can a person take in an afternoon?!

And I definitely didn't like the "dark" Carrie--her Alanis Morissette phase, if you will. That's not the Carrie I know and love. Carrie is bright, and witty, and a chin-up kind of gal. The tv Carrie never had a problem a few martinis and some pot couldn't solve! (cf. the time when she got broken up with by a post-it).

But I did love the Miranda and Steve story arch. I thought it did pretty good justice to, what I imagine, a jilted spouse might feel like and go through without taking either spouse's side.

But all in all, I left the theatre feeling pretty sad.

I've always hated romantic movies of all kinds--comedies, dramas, animation. They always seem to make "Love" seem bigger than life, impossible, unattainable, and desperately missing from everyone's life but the heroine's. It's like "Love" is more exclusive than even haute couture, but also a thousand times more enviable. The sine qua non of existence. The Holy Grail.

Pish posh.

There's more to life than love. And "Love" doesn't exist. I believe in love, just not "Love."

Why can't there be a romantic movie with that point of view? Cuz that movie I think I would like!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVED the movie. I thought It was somewhat realistic - my friends who are melo-dramatic and/or very emotional do experience this sort of drama of "love." I'm glad that I don't though. I like smooth sailing, even tempered, consistant love. I was glad that Charlotte's romance had no problems, and I totally agree with you about Miranda's relationship. My favorite thing was getting to see more of my favorite characters and fun fashion. I gave it an A.

tiptoptam said...

I'm all for your "love instead of Love movie." I, for one, would find it comforting. It'd be nice not to bemoan my existence as a cat-owning spinster.