Friday, August 22, 2008

The Old Couple

You know how you sometimes see an elderly couple on tv, still holding hands, taking a walk, etc. and you think: that's so sweet, I want to grow old with someone I love?

Well, it's all sweet and nice until you start becoming that old couple with all the old people aches and pains that comes with it.


Although Michael and I are only near our thirties, we constantly tell ourselves, "We are not young anymore!" How do you know you're getting old? Two words: chronic injury. Your body just doesn't heal as quickly or completely as it used to.

Michael has a chronic injury in his wrist from too much mouse-clicking/typing, and I have a chronic ankle injury from too many twisted ankles from tripping while wearing skyscraper platforms (in my youth--while I went clubbing, ha--there's something I never ever do anymore!).

And every so often I'll beg Michael to rub my aching ankle that flares-up out of nowhere and he will graciously oblige. But inevitably, he always has to take a break because it causes his gimpy wrists to ache...

...and then he'll ask if I would go down to grab him an ice-pack for his wrist...

...and then I always so "No, because going down the stairs would exacerbate my ankle."

And there you have it: two old farts lying around the house with achy joints on a Friday night.

Not so cute.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's why you need kids and grand-kids. So they can go get the stuff for you! ;^)

Alice in Wonderland said...

You are right on Infinity!

brista said...

Awwww, that IS really sweet. But then, I'm just a youngin and I'm sure I'll change my mind when I get there!