Saturday, June 05, 2010

Getting My Baby Butt in Gear

Towards the end of my 7th month I started to panic because I had done absolutely nothing in preparation for the baby's impending arrival. Absolutely. Nothing.

I hadn't read a page, considered my registry, taken any hospital classes, made room in my cramped apartment. We're talking nothing.

But now, thanks to some providentially free weekends, I've made a lot of progress, and feel a lot less like jumping out a high-story window.

To conquer the baby-gear gauntlet (and what a crazy gauntlet it is, let me tell you) I read through Baby Bargains (aka, the alpha and omega of baby consumer product reports). With the friendly authors and my good friend Peg to guide me (and hundreds of kind reviewers on Amazon and Target), I finally finished registering for all the stuff I think I'll need for at least the first 4 months. Check!


I also put away 2/3 of my clothes to make room for baby furniture--his drawers, bassinet, and changing table. That was a little heartbreaking cuz I love my non-preggo clothes and honestly, one of the hardest things about pregnancy has been not being able to wear them and add to them! So now baby has his own wall of furniture in our room. Check!

I also finally signed up for some all-day Saturday hospital classes and told my boss that I can't work those Saturdays. It's kind of ridiculous to be like, "Can I have those NON-WORKDAYS off?" Who has the ask for permission for non-workdays?! Only corporate lawyers! Check!

And researched and found a good pediatrician. Check!

And got a bassinet at a baby consignment shop at 66% off the normal retail price. Score! Every time I look at it in my room, I melt into an expectant goop of sentimentality. It's so adorable and sweet looking with all its quilting and non-frilly bows. And did I mention I got it for 66% off?!


The consignment shop also had tons of baby clothes, which I know is going to draw me back like catnip. Who can resist little-man clothes?


Now all I really need is a changing table. That can't be too hard to find on Craigslist. Oh, and maybe a diaper genie...

But despite all that I've gotten done, I still had a panic attack last night. It just dawned on me that the baby could come as early as next month. And it shall begin.

The trauma of childbirth, the tortured sleep-deprivation, the exploding poop, the endless fountain of pee, the frustration of breastfeeding, and the constant guilt, fear, and vulnerability that is parenthood.

Oh momma.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're NESTING!!! :)

Alice in Wonderland said...

Indeed! So that's what that means--a fancy word to say, getting stuff for the baby!