Friday, June 18, 2010

My Everloving Spouse

Me: Doulas are supposed to help the mom during birth. They massage you and stuff.

Spouse: That's nice. I'm so sore from sitting in front of the computer all day. Maybe I can have your doula massage me too, you know, while you're in labor.

Me: *exasperated look*

Speaking of which, I've been thinking and learning all about labor and delivery lately, now that the big day is fast approaching.

Of course it goes without saying that the whole ordeal freaks me out. Mostly, I can't believe how much my, um "skin" will have to stretch to accommodate the, uh, yeah, let's leave it at that.

How is that humanly possible?

And yet, millions of women have done it for millions of years, yeah, yeah. So I've been told. That seems to be the number one thing people like to say to comfort a first-time-freaked-out 8 month preggo. And it's a little comforting.

Until you also realize that millions of women for millions of years have been experiencing excruciating pain during the whole process too. And that's the crux for me--the pain.

So now I'm devoting much of my birth prep to pain management--breathing techniques, scents to smell, soothing music (think 8-hour playlist of Enya), acupressure, whatever it takes. I'm on a mission to gain zen-like mastery over the ultimate discomfort. Okay, maybe not zen-like, but at least some level of tolerance that doesn't make me want to reach out and hurt someone. Poor spouse.

Maybe, in the end, I'll even let him borrow my doula...in between contractions.

7 comments:

Tammy said...

That's why God created epidurals!

Peggy E. said...

I loved my doula even though she missed the birth! We met up a couple times before and talked about stuff. She was so motherly and soothing. I was on the phone with her when I went into labor and she gave me a lot of confidence for going to the hospital!

Alice in Wonderland said...

Peg--I can't believe your doula missed your birth?! What the heck?! Isn't that the whole point of a doula?! I hope you didn't have to pay...

Alice in Wonderland said...

Tam--Alas, some things are just too good to be true, including epidurals. Apparently there are some negative side effects, like having to have a catheter, ew. But who knows, in the throes of gut-wrenching pain, I'm likely to scream for an epidural!

Anonymous said...

you're soooo close! C, everything will be JUST FINE. I say that as a never-pregnant never-mom, but you're in God's good hands and just as He redeemed us all from the fall (which as you recall was the beginning of childbirth pains), He will also redeem all the pain you have to go through in childbirth. Will be praying for you!!! when's your due date again? - alaberi

Alice in Wonderland said...

Thanks Alaberi :-) D-day is Aug 10!

Brenda Jung said...

Christina, I didn't decide whether or not to get the epidural until I was actually in labor. Since I was induced, the contractions were stronger than "normal," so I got the epidural. It was, in a word, luxurious. I actually enjoyed labor (as much as is possible!). Do you have a birth plan? I can send you mine if you want to use it. Hang in there. We have an amazing threshhold for pain.