Tuesday, June 08, 2010

The Seat Less Taken

So I finally did it today. For the first time ever.

I sat down on the BART.

I hate sitting on the dirty BART upholstered seats, and my commute is only 1 stop, and I like to be the first one to hop right off when we pull up to the station, so I never saw the point of sitting before.

But ever since the belly has been ever so obviously protruding, kind strangers have been wobbling over to me while the train is en route and pointing to their vacant seat.

I usually waive my hand and say "It's okay. I only have one stop. It's okay, really," and feel guilty for rejecting their kind offer and making them feel slightly...well, rejected. I think it's hurtful when you offer something and you get rejected. But I really don't like sitting on the BART!

That's why I've recently started to wear scarves to work. I drape them strategically over the belly area and they seem to obscure my body just enough to make me look merely fat.

But not today. The scarve did not work its voodoo well enough for this observant young lady who shot up out of her seat and insisted I sit down. I started my automatic response, "No, it's okay..." but she would have none of it.

And the train announcer said we would be delayed for at least 10 minutes due to some hold up on the track.

And my feet do get sore if I stand for more than a few minutes at a time.

So I sat down. At the very tippy-top edge of the dirty, smelly seat.

I think I could get used to this.

No comments: