Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Maybe I'm trying to tell me something...

The body never lies.

I may tell myself: I'm not stressed; There's no reason to worry; etc. until I'm blue in the face. But my body is evincing signs that I'm just deep in a river in Africa, De-Nile.

For five years I haven't had so much as one cold sore blister. And now I've had two in just one month! For three years I've only been really sick maybe once or twice. And now I'm sick twice in under a month!

Although the reality is that I really have NO reason to get stressed, I must still be really stressed. But why should I be? I don't think it's about school because I've never cared that much and I'm pretty much assured of straight B's (which is good because, in my world, "B" stands for "!Bueno!").

I think I'm stressed about "work-life" balance, or lack thereof. They say that socializing with people is a great and effective way of boosting your immune system. And I have to admit, I haven't socialized in a very, very long time.

But the body's reaction to not getting enough "people time" is pretty counterintuitive: To grow disgusting sores and feel ill? Like that's really going to help the socializing any!

6 comments:

kony said...

it's called Being a Harvard Student Syndrome! i've heard horror stories about it. you must have a fantastic immune system if all you have to show for it is cold sores. stay strong girlfriend. i'm confident you'll emerge with your ADHD intact.

Alice in Wonderland said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Alice in Wonderland said...

Thanks Kony. It's scary actually, the other day I found myself concentrating for a whole 5 minutes without feeling my usual antsy-ness. What's happening to me?!

But I do hope to see you here soon! Maybe? Keep me posted!

melissa said...

you're gonna graduate as a hbs lawyer, who cares about grades?? don't let the psycho overachievers there ruin your health!

Alice in Wonderland said...

Melly, you're so funny. "hbs" lawyer? I think you've been doing too many b-school apps!

melissa said...

ahhh shoot.

harvard barrister syndrome??

barrister... must be reading too many english novels. you should check out shopoholic confessions, i think you'd like it. joy's been reading them ;)