Saturday, March 18, 2006

On growing up...

I believe that one of the greatest lessons a parent can teach a child is how to lose well.

Anyone can win with no problems, but few know the secret to losing.

Most people, myself included, fear losing like the plague. Some who have experienced it withdraw from trying altogether. And still others never get up from off the ground, defeated in spirit and will.

Not knowing how to be a good loser has cost me some of my best potential friendships. I remember numerous roomates in college that I just refused to hang out with because they always made me feel inferior in comparison. You know the type. Effortlessly perfect in all they do, constantly swarmed by a crowd of boys like too many electrons around the nucleus of a super-charged ion.

My brother always jokingly blamed his lack of a girlfriend on my inability to make friends with really cute, smart girls. There's truth in that.

I've met some amazing people this year and I hope I can continually fight the urge to run the other way when I see them. It's hard being the metaphorical 'fattest girl in the room', but I'm learning.

I'm learning about that which makes us human and the lack of which no external factor may sufficiently substitute for, namely, inherent worth.

3 comments:

B.Amelia said...

I'm learning that too.

Growing up i never got use to losing well, especially when it came to losing people. I think the way you lose and how your self worth is gained correspond.

Self worth is a life long growing up achievement.I realize how important it is to recognize your worth.

kony said...

that last sentence had too many embedded clauses for me to understand. but in my honest opinion, you're hot stuff.

Alice in Wonderland said...

Aw, shucks Kony. Somedays (most days) that's all a girl needs to hear.