Wednesday, February 09, 2011

178, 179--Sun, Mon

Well, we finally did it. We went on a real vacation. Okay, so we kind of wimped out and only went to Carmel Valley for one day, but honestly, we were terrified that even such a small trip would throw you off your routine and rhythms.


In the end, I wouldn't say it was "relaxing." But the new mantra your dad and I have is "A change is as good as a rest," and frankly, I'm afraid we're never going to get a real rest ever again (until maybe you're 18?) so we might as well be happy with just a change.

Our first day we went to the incomparably beautiful Point Lobos. You tolerated your fancy sports stroller for only 10 min. I was pretty upset about that and wanted to force you to "like" it.


But your dad wouldn't leave you to cry in the stroller so he carried you along the trails.



Here's a pit stop you took in the woods.


And here's me enjoying the view as I nurse you.


Then we checked into our hotel and they had a crib waiting for you.


We relaxed on the patio for a moment. You munching on their complimentary crackers, and me imbibing their delicious sauvignon blanc.



You got into your pajamas (thanks Peg!) and went to sleep pretty easily, despite it being the first time you've ever slept away from home.


Because you sleep so early, your dad and me had to tiptoe around for the rest of the night, which included having dinner in the bathroom!


We made the best of it and watched a DVD on our laptop--The Kids Are All Right. It was pretty good. I especially love that it takes place in our backyard--SF/East Bay.

Later, dad did some reading...in the tub. Man do we go to great lengths for you to sleep undisturbed!


All this effort didn't really pay off though. You basically cried all through the night starting around midnight. I brought you in bed with us for part of the night, but after awhile even that wasn't consoling to you. By 2am you were wide awake and I was at my wit's end.

Your dad and I basically took turns holding and comforting you through the night. No wonder he was exhausted when day broke. Here's you playing while he catches up on sleep.


Despite the lack of sleep, we schlepped off to Point Lobos again to hike our favorite Cypress Grove Trail.




Here you are drinking in the deep blue Pacific for the first time. Do you feel (especially) small when you look at the ocean?


We asked someone to take our pic, but sadly that didn't turn out too well.


Anyway, a couple hours of more driving and nursing in the car and we were home sweet home.


We were beyond exhausted, but still glad we went since a change is as good as a rest.

2 comments:

Mommy Lyn said...

Dinner in the bathroom eh? Ah, the great lengths we go to just for our babies. Hahaha. You better hide Judah's chunky thighs from me or else I'll squeeze and pinch the heck outta them.

Ryan said...

Those pictures in the bathroom ... LOL!! I totally agree that "change is as good as rest"!!