Monday, February 14, 2011

185--Sunday: Happy Half-Birthday!

Sunday was your 6 month birthday! Here's a pic of you on your half-birthday:


I'm so proud of us for making it this far. Things were pretty rough at the beginning, but ever since you finished your "4th trimester" and got sleep-trained, our lives became a whole lot more livable.

You've always been a "slower" baby in your development. You didn't start smiling until a couple weeks after all the books said you would. You didn't look at your mobile until a month after all the books said you would. You didn't reach for objects until 2 months after. And you still can't roll over, though the books say you should've been doing that over a month ago.

But one thing you've always excelled at--eating (aka, being really heavy)! I used to lament to anyone who would listen that we were doubly cursed. Not only were you extremely heavy for your age, you were extremely under-developed so you didn't "help" us carry your weight around by having decent muscle control over your little body.

Anyway, it's okay. The weeks and months roll by so quickly it doesn't really matter. You are an excellent eater with a voracious appetite (in fact we can't eat in front of you anymore because you get downright pissed if we don't share our food with you). You are a great napper in your crib, and a good sleeper at night.

In six more short months you will look more like a child and less like a baby. You'll be taking your first steps and will probably be fully weaned. And you'll be exhibiting more of your personality and independent will. I can't wait to see more of who you are!

As for me, my brain is in such a fog I still haven't been able to process this whole weird parenthood thing. Yes, I'm still stunned that I'm a mom! Usually I'm just treading water trying to keep you clean, fed, napped, and happy (this is really hard since you fuss quite a bit) and keep the house from looking completely disheveled.

But even in my blurry state, one thing at least is clear--I love you. I can't believe how lucky and blessed I am to have you. And I'm really going to miss you, my baby, when you're all grown up in a few months.

1 comment:

nafrica said...

It's hard to believe in the next 6 months, my little baby will turn into a little boy.