Sunday, September 02, 2012

Why?

This has been another doozy of a week.  Most days I worked 12-15 hours and slept at 1 or 2 am.  But instead of catching some extra zzzzz's I just HAVE to blog about you a little bit.  It's like scratching an itch.  Sigh, the insanity of parenthood.

But I just have to commemorate 2 things you did this week that really surprised me.

First, you went up to your auntie as she was reading a magazine and told her, "I lonely," to indicate that you wanted her to play with you.  What?!  That blows my mind.

How the heck did you ever learn that concept or that word?  I've never ever heard you say the word lonely before (nor do I remember using that word in your presence).  I think maybe your dad uses that word when you cry and says stuff like "Are you sad?  Are you lonely for mommy?"

But even so, I'm so impressed that you could figure out what that abstract concept meant in one context and translate it to another one completely.


Second, you've started to ask "Why?"  Before you always asked "Who that mommy?" (and you used 'who' to indicate the pronouns 'who' and 'what').  Or "How that work mommy?"  Or "Where daddy?"  But a couple days ago you started to get on that never-ending train of asking "Why?"

Just today you asked about the man next door.
"Who that mommy?"
"Our neighbor."
"Why?"
"Because he lives next to us."
"Why?"
"Umm....he...just does."

I was hoping we could avoid the endless strings of 'why' until you were 4 or 5, but nope.  That train has left the station.  Frankly I don't mind explaining things ad absurdum, but how the heck am I supposed to explain something as complicated as 3-4 levels of causality or reasoning to a 2 year old?!

"The sky is blue."
"Why mommy?"
"Because...molecules in the air scatter blue light from the sun more than they scatter red light."

Yeah, that's not going to fly.

1 comment:

CP said...

You look so cute! And your son does too of course :)

Isn't it amazing the things pick up?

I hope next week isn't as rough on you.