Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Am I going to get cancer?

I chipped a tooth and now I'm worried about getting tongue cancer.

That sounds ridiculous, right?

Why would you get tongue cancer just because you chipped your tooth? Well, I never would have associated those two events until I visited this one particular dentist. He said that if the tongue chafes against an uneven edge, the skin of the tongue toughens, which may lead to tongue cancer.

Huh? Does cancer work like that? Wouldn't you just get a callous on your tongue?

So yesterday, after I absentmindedly chomped down on my spoon (thinking it was just soft food), and chipped my lower central incisor (on the right side), I scoured the internet for information about tongue cancer.

All I got were disgusting pictures of rotting gums and tongues.

Any sensible person would've just gone to their dentist and gotten reassurance from him/her. But noooo...not me...I'm cheap, lazy, and "too busy".

So I sit around and worry...and blog about it. Maybe someone who chances upon this entry might enlighten me on the risks of tongue cancer due to a chipped tooth.

2 comments:

B.Amelia said...

As far as i know, you won't get cancer and die. But then again i am not a dentist, so that kind of makes that statement not so reassuring.

I do know, that a chipped tooth usually doesn't lead to cancer. If anything, it could lead to the tooth getting infected and falling out, but that's usually when you have chipped it real bad, i think.

My brother chipped his front tooth in a car accident, and that was like 7 years ago, and all his teeth are still intact.

I would eventually get it checked out, if it starts irritating you, and just to get advice from a professional, instead of "pre-professional" student.

Hope your mouth feels better.

Alice in Wonderland said...

Beckett, I'm so glad you said that. I think you are my only pre-med friend (and I have no "post-med" friends).