Sunday, February 26, 2006

The Bet

I've always been confidant in my pop culture knowledge (and condescending of Michael's). That's why I brazenly bet Michael that it was Phil Collins who sang the Lion King song "Can you feel the love tonight?"

Michael kept insisting it was that "gay guy from England."
"Who? Elton John?" I said.

"Yeah, Elton John!" Michael replied.

"No! It was Phil Collins!" I retorted, "I'll bet you! A hundred dollars from my clothes budget into your book budget if I lose, and vice versa if I win."

"Fine! Bet's on!" He said with full confidance.
"Gosh, you are so dumb. You are SO going to lose!" I thought to myself.

We raced over to Amazon.com and found this:



You probably can't see it, but the cover lists Elton John on it. NOOOO!

So, it would appear that I lost the bet. But I was unable to concede defeat just yet because I SWEAR I saw Phil Collins singing a Disney movie song on TV once!!! So I did a little sleuthing and came up with this:


You may be able to see that it says "Music by Phil Collins."

I felt semi-vindicated. I mean, it's easy to confuse the two! They're both Disney movies with music from fading pop stars of the eighties and both movies had a lot to do with animals and nature!

So I begged Michael to leave my clothing fund intact because it was an easy mistake to make! And he being more generous than I would have been, mercifully forgave my debt.

Did you know it was Elton John and not Phil Collins?

4 comments:

Alice in Wonderland said...

It would've been more fair to split the money. But I'm not about to suggest anything that would take 50 bucks away from me...fair or not.

Alaberi said...

two things -
1. We prayed for you yesterday at our prayer meeting - hope you're feeling better!
2. Dude I can't believe you got Elton and Phil mixed up! I love them both, but... wow - I don't really think they sound so similar... :-) glad michael was so magnanimous.

B.Amelia said...

I knew it was Elton John but that was because i had the tape when i was younger and pretty much massacred "Can You feel the love tonight". Dark Days.

Next time i phone a friend. Or Blog a friend. I'm pretty good with entertainment trivia.

Suz said...

YES I KNEW---lol