Monday, February 27, 2006

Brownie


When I was ten I had a dog named Brownie. She kind of looked like this, (especially her nose).

I was an angry kid so I didn't always treat Brownie very well. Once I made Brownie choose between my brother and I. We stood apart and both called her name and clapped our hands for her to come to us and poor Brownie looked very confused.

Then, after a few doggie eye-brow tilts she ambled toward my brother. I was furious and vowed never to show her affection again. After all the things I did for her, I gave her food and water, I combed her matty hair, I rubbed her little belly...and this is the thanks I get!

One day after piano lessons I looked out toward the backyard and noticed that Brownie was gone. "Where's Brownie?" I asked my dad. He said that she ran away but I knew that wasn't true. Brownie sometimes ran around but she always found her way back to the house eventually. I knew my dad had done what he had long threatened to do. He took her to the pound. He never liked Brownie much either.

And then I felt guilty for all those times I witheld my affection. I never had a chance to tell her I was sorry for being such a bad owner.

One day I hope I can get another dog that looks just like Brownie and shower that mutt with all the love in the world. But I won't let her near my brother...you know, just in case.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is really traumatizing.

How do you feel about cats? If you're not allergic, they are much less needy.

-Tammy

Alice in Wonderland said...

Cats are too independent for me. Do they ever show affection?

Anonymous said...

OMG! They totally show affection. my cat is really sweet. One time i didn't shower for three days and he started cleaning me--licking my hairline and everything. It was so cute. Of course then I had to take a shower because I had cat saliva in my hair. Sometimes if I'm sleeping on my back he'll sleep on my chest and press his cheek to my cheek :) My dog is actually the aloof one.

-Tammy