Thursday, February 23, 2006

The Power of O

Dear Oprah,

I've never told anyone my deepest darkest secret, not even my Savior and Lord. But I'm writing it to you because I think you are the only one who can save me.

By day I am a student at a prestigious college, but by night I have unprotected sex with strangers. I am a sex addict and I fear that my habit will kill me. In the past year I've had sex with over 25 different men, all strangers.
(Paraphrased from a real guest letter)


My observations:

1. Why would you choose to "out" yourself on national TV? And why do it on Oprah? Why not go to a trained medical professional? Or your priest? Or your best friend, sister, mother, etc (i.e. not a complete stranger)?

2. Oprah is scary powerful. She RULES American popular culture. She can make people voluntarily divulge their deepest darkest secrets...that they won't even tell God. Heck, she can make people voluntarily read Tolstoy!

3. I think I would be more excited about being on Oprah than about being named Time's person of the year.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oprah is so powerful that she's become a phenomenom like one of the seven wonders. There are sociology articles written about Oprah theorizing that her appeal transcends race/class lines because her persona is so much larger than life.

I'm pretty sure she glows in the dark.

-Tammy

Alaberi said...

woohoo! I'm a modernday crusader??? :-)

Alice in Wonderland said...

Yes you are!...and an inspiration. ;-)