Monday, November 08, 2010

87, 88--Sunday, Monday

Sunday I was feeling pretty down because I felt like you weren't making enough progress fast enough. (I admit, I was comparing you to other babies near your age in the new mom's group).

Your digestion is still bad. You don't sleep well at night. And you're not really improving developmentally and socially. You barely look at us in the eye (I was really starting to worry that you're autistic), and you don't talk as much as you used to.

Your dad thinks all of this is because you were sleeping on a moldy crib sheet. Yes, we were horrified to look under your mattress pad and find a giant petri dish of mold growing underneath it. Apparently you had vomited on the crib sheet, it never dried out, and we put the mattress pad on top--creating the perfect condition for mold to sprout.

But today, I feel much better. Your dad reminded me that things used to be a lot worse and you have improved lots. For example...

--you used to scream and cry in your car seat, but now you're quiet when I play your favorite CD.

--you used to fuss and grow impatient in your stroller, but now I can take you for long walks and you love it.

--you used to hate changing diapers, but now you stare at your mobile and babble for a long time.

--you used to need us to hold you or ergo you for every nap, but now you'll sleep in your cradle swing for at least 30 minutes at a stretch.

--you used to fuss and cry at every feeding, popping on and off, but now you're much calmer.

--and just today, you found your thumb to suck on!


But one thing hasn't changed at all since your birth--I think you're darn cute!



2 comments:

Peggy E. said...

I always worried about the developmental thing too... Isaac has had on and off periods of talkativeness. And he used to just stare at stuff like the fan and the light and not at me... that worried me too... I guess all this worrying is just part of being a new mom!

the McArthur Family said...

You are so right - Judah is so darned cute! Isn't he so cute how he has the tip of his thumb in his mouth? For Micah it took about 2 months to get the whole thing in there and really suck on it. (Have you tried to swaddle him without his arms tucked in to see if it helps him find his thumb to sleep with?)

I remember reading somewhere (Science of Parenting - I think) that babies need breaks from looking at faces, and that it is good for them to look at other things too.

Love all the various expressions. He is so a little boy in his baseball cap picture.